2020 - Tourism and Social Justice
We are seeking to explore the social, cultural and political dimensions of tourism in the early 21st century and explore the current critical
issues in tourism. Key questions include:
- What does social justice mean in the context of tourism?
- What are the critical issues and challenges the global tourism industry faces in the contemporary globalised world?
- How do age, disability, gender, sexuality and race affect our experiences of tourism?
- How can we make tourism accessible to all? Is access to tourism equal to all? What are the social factors affecting access to tourism?
- What insights does the critical tourism perspective offer?
- How are women, ethnic minorities, LQBTQ+ and older people represented in tourism marketing materials? What are the main issues around how tourists are represented in marketing materials? Why is inclusivity important when it comes to constructing marketing materials?
- Why is it important to look beyond the tourist experience and address the issues of working conditions and worker wellbeing? Who are those working in tourism and hospitality, and what key challenges are they facing in tourism employment?
- What can be done to make tourism and hospitality workplaces more inclusive and ethical?