Welcome to students from the University of Lincoln as well as other visitors. This student-led Virtual Conference engages final year tourism students in an exploration of the social and political dimensions of tourism of the early 21st century.
Theme for the 2023 Virtual Conference: Tourism, Fairness and Future: Making Tourism More Just
We are seeking to explore the social, cultural and political dimensions of tourism in the 21st century and explore the current critical issues in tourism. Key questions include:
- What do social justice and social inclusion mean in the context of tourism?
- What are the critical issues and challenges the tourism industry faces in these uncertain times?
- How do age, disability, gender, sexuality and race affect our experiences of tourism?
- How can we make tourism accessible to all? Is access to tourism equal to all? What are the social factors affecting access to tourism? What insights does the critical tourism perspective offer?
- Why is it important to look beyond the tourist experience and address the issues of working conditions and worker wellbeing? Who are those working in tourism and hospitality, and what key challenges are they facing in tourism employment? How has the COVID-19 pandemic and Brexit affected tourism workers?
- What can be done to make tourism and hospitality workplaces more inclusive and ethical?
We look forward to exploring your ideas and seeing you engage in debates with other students. We hope you enjoy this experience!